The code restructuring process makes use of:
- Pacbase™ generated Cobol source code,
- standard Pacbase™ exports, in order to deduct the target-structure: -cd, -cs, -cp, functions / sub-functions / levels.
Pacbase™ generated Cobol source code is restructured at various levels:
- structure (tree-like structured Cobol): unwanted instructions are replaced (most “go to”),
- lines of code deriving from macros : these lines are replaced by code copybooks (optimized preservation of shared code),
- data: data structures are replaced by copybooks using the dictionary.
Resulting source code is as easily maintainable as “native” Cobol code.
There are 3 possible levels of restructuring. They help improving understandability and readibility of the code as well as the maintainability of it.